Recipe: Potato & Carrot Casserole
This casserole is great because it is very low in fat, is packed with vegetables and contains healthy protein. It’s also easy to make and tastes great – even the kids will eat it. Enjoy with a side of steamed broccoli.
Yield: 6 servings
Here’s what you need…
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3 cups grated red potato, cleaned but don’t peel
- 3/4 cup egg white (or egg beater)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a medium sized baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized frying pan, saute the onion in the water until well done. Add the garlic. Add the chicken broth, carrots, and potatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg whites.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add to the vegetables. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes.
- Serve with a side of steamed broccoli.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 143 calories, .5g fat, 28g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, and 8g protein.
Entry filed under: Kids Recipes.